Don’t lose sight of glaucoma
Glaucoma is the leading cause of irreversible blindness on the planet. On Sunday, we mark World Glaucoma Day. It is estimated that there are 60 million people affected by the disease. This figure, due to the growing life expectancy in developed countries, will rise dramatically in the coming decades — some studies put the increase at 45% in less than 25 years.
All these figures speak for themselves but the most critical refers to the awareness of those who suffer from the pathology. Glaucoma is a silent disease. So much so that in developed countries, less than half of those affected are aware of their situation. This fact is of vital importance because glaucoma can be controlled, above all in its early stages. The damage it causes, however, is irreversible: with current techniques it is impossible to regenerate the tissues of the optic nerve that are affected by the disease.
Prevention is the solution
Consequently, the solution involves prevention: through the routine check-ups that enable glaucoma to be detected and halted before it begins to harm the optic nerve.
There are two types of glaucoma, depending on whether the eye’s filtering system (camerular angle) is open or not. In 70% of cases, this is usually associated with high intraocular pressure, while the other 30% corresponds to normal pressure in sensitive eyes. Prevalence is 2% in patients of over 50 years old.
Campaign with Farmaoptics and Teknon-QuirónSalud Group
Coinciding with World Glaucoma Day and World Glaucoma Week, the Institut de la Màcula has launched a campaign with Farmaoptics y and the Teknon-Grupo QuirónSalud Group Medical Centre to raise awareness in the public about the need to undergo periodic check-ups to detect glaucoma. And just as important as diagnosis is the monitoring and treatment of those who suffer from it.
Treatments for glaucoma are usually based on control on intraocular pressure. The ideal pressure varies for each patient; the key is to keep it at levels that enable the structure of the optic nerve to remain stable over time. The team specialising in glaucoma at the Institut de la Màcula, led by Dr. Marta Pazos, perform exhaustive monitoring of our patients, with the most advanced and proven scientific tools, techniques and knowledge.